Friday, May 30, 2014

Film: Top 3 Foreign Favorites

So many films, not enough time. One of my favorite things to do is watch movies when there's nothing else to do! I've fallen in love with French cinema and I absolutely love French actors Lea Seydoux, Marion Cotillard, and Guillame Canet. I think foreign films in particular are distinctly unique because the techniques and styles of their cinematography as well as their culture plays a huge part in making the films diverse. It's so interesting to identify the differences between American movies and movies from different countries.

Some films that I absolutely adore and who hail from ecentric parts of the world include:

  • "Dolls" directed by Takeshi Kitano




Dolls is a Japanese Romantic Drama which follows the tales of three different stories of undying love. It may be a little confusing at first, but the film just might become your favorite of love and loss. This movie is pure art!

The first story of love involves two lovers connected by a red rope (pictured above). The second is a tale of an elder Yakuza who visits the park where he used to meet his girlfriend as a teenager, and third story is of a pop star's injury and her biggest fan.

The costumes worn by the actors were made by Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto, who is one of my favorites. His work is so extremely genius, and adds to the film's beauty and eccentricity. The film is in Japanese, so if you're not fluent you'll need the subtitles, but trust me it's definitely worth the watch. Or 50.

  • "Jeux D'enfants" (Love Me If You Dare) directed by Yann Samuell




 

Jeux D'enfants is a French comedy/drama/romance about Sophie and Julien. They began their game of dares with a little tin box when they were children, and it lasted them up until their adult life. The love that Sophie has for Julien and that Julien has for Sophie isn't really confronted until the end, when their love stands the ultimate test of time!

(I cry EVERYTIME.)

  • La Belle Personne (The Beautiful Person) directed by Christophe Honoré 













Okay! So now you ladies and gents know my top 3 foreign films (as of right now) Don't be afraid to recommend me your favs and if you watch any of these let me know what ya think!

x

-C

3 comments :

  1. wow i love this post so much. I never really stray from American movies. Do you have another French film fave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cinematography is just so thrilling when it comes to foreign films!!!! "Norwegian Wood" was my first foreign film and it just absolutely made me fall in love, I truly recommend I absolutely adore it. Secondary is definitely "Blue is the Warmest Color", I adored it. Non-foreign is definitely "Her", I felt like a changed person after watching it. You have excellent taste in films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda agree with you, French films are unique. Did you ever watch Amilie or Intouchables - i started to hooked up with French films after watch these films.

    ReplyDelete